How to: Root your T-Mobile Samsung Vibrant
So you have your new Samsung Vibrant from T-Mobile and want to root it? Well, you came to the right place. Rooting the Samsung Vibrant is A LOT easier than rooting any of the other android phones out there (except probably the Nexus One–That one was practically made to be rooted).
***This will work on the T-Mobile US branded Vibrant and generic Galaxy S models***
***IMPORTANT: YOU PERFORM THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK, THIS MAY VOID YOUR WARRANTY, I NOR ANYONE ELSE IS RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR DEVICE.***
1. download the Samsung root update file from here
2. rename the file to update.zip
3. mount your phone to your computer and put the update.zip to the internal micro sd (the one that is 16GB, not the 2GB one with the folder Movie on it)
4. power off your phone after you unmount your phone
5. now press the power button then right away hold down the vol up and vol down keys until your phone boots into recovery (you might have to try this a few times to get to that point)
6. In Recovery menu select ‘Reinstall Packages’ (use vol down then power to select)
7. Done! you now have root! your device will now reboot
Now that you have root you can overclock your phone, use it as a internet tether, etc. you can also access/change the internals of your device..
Why should or shouldn’t you root your Samsung Vibrant?
- Being able to have the lastest Android operating system that has been optimized by developers (e.i. The vibrant is running Android 2.1 and soon here we will be able to have Android 2.2 on our vibrants thanks to the developers at xda forums)
- Apply themes to the graphics on your device (e.i. make your status bar vanilla instead of black)
- Use your device as an AP (e.i. connect your computer to your phones internet connection just as you would wifi)
- Have FULL access to your phones internals
- and A lot more!
- Once you’re running a custom ROM you won’t receive OTA updates from samsung
- you have to depend on developers to continue to provide ROMs to run on your phone